Pages

Saturday, October 10

Pumpkin Pie Bars




Well, it's my first entry!  I've got to say this is a lot harder that it looks--not the pumpkin bars--the blogging.  When I've looked through other food blogs their writing seems to just flow so beautifully but I'm finding this kind of hard--words are not just flowing and I'm deleting and rewriting way to much.  So, we'll just overlook all of this beginner blogging stuff and move forward.


I got this recipe for Pumpkin Pie Bars from a really neat food blog Joy the Baker.  These bars were easy to make and tasted great.  My girls aren't huge pumpkin fans so I sent half of the bars into work with my husband, Scott.  Someone in his office renamed them SOD's, or Squares of Deliciousness.   


I'll definitely keep this recipe and use it again.  So, I would deem this recipe a Success!




Pumpkin Pie Bars
  recipe from joythebaker.com
  adapted from Kraft


1-1/3 cups flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) cold butter or margarine
1 cup old-fashioned or quick-cooking oars, uncooked
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
3 eggs
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin
1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons bourbon (optional) 
a handful of butterscotch or chocolate chips for sprinkling on top (optional)


Heat oven to 350 degrees F.  Line 13x9-inch pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides; grease foil.  Mix flour, 1/4 granulated sugar and brown sugar in medium bowl; cut in butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Stir in oats and nuts.


Reserve 1 cup oat mixture; press remaining onto bottom of prepared pan.  Bake 15 min.  Beat cream cheese, remaining sugar, eggs, vanilla, bourbon, pumpkin and spice with mixer until well blended.  Pour over crust; sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture and a handful of butterscotch or chocolate chips (if desired).


Bake 25 min.; cool 10 min.  Use foil to transfer dessert from pan to wire rack; cool completely.


If you don't have pumpkin pie spice use 1 tsp. each ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg and allspice.







Lastly, I didn't use bourbon in my recipe since it was optional and I didn't have any to begin with and I used a handful of butterscotch chips in my bars.  Also, I did make up my own pumpkin pie spice.


Well, there we have it, my first post. Whew! 

No comments: