Pages

Saturday, January 16

Marinara Sauce


I have dreams.  Simple dreams really.  I dream of being organized in the kitchen.  I would love to be so organized in the kitchen that when one of those crazy days happen that I can't cook, I could just reach into the freezer and pull out some great thing and POOF, I could put a good dinner together instead of buying fast food.  This marinara sauce helps me realize that dream.  I found this recipe in the October 2007 issue of Cooking Light.

This marinara sauce makes me feel like I'm getting my act together.


There is nothing like the smell of caramelized onions and balsamic vinegar wafting through the kitchen.  Once the sauce starts simmering, I know I'm on my way to realizing my dream of kitchen organization.



Once the sauce is complete, I store roughly 6-2 cup containers of incredibly satisfying marinara sauce.  I pop them in the freezer and I'm ready to take on dinner!

Basic Marinara
Cooking Light-October 2007
Printable recipe Press Here

3 Tablespoons olive oil
3 Cups chopped yellow onion (about 3 medium)
1 Tablespoon sugar
3 Tablespoons minced garlic (about 6 cloves)
2 Teaspoons salt
2 Teaspoons dried basil
1 1/2 Teaspoons dried oregano
1 Teaspoon dried thyme
1 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 Teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 Cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
3 (28-ounce) cans no-salt-added crushed tomatoes

1.  Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat.  Add onion to pan; cook 4 minutes, stirring frequently.  Add sugar and next 7 ingredients (through fennel seeds); cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.  Stir in vinegar; cook 30 seconds.  Add broth and tomatoes; bring to a simmer.  Cook over low heat for 55 minutes or until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally.
Yield: about 12 cups (serving size: 1/2 cup)

Calories 50 (32% from fat)

1 comment:

SF50 said...

I feel you on having frozen sauce at the ready, you can make so many different things with it. I am so glad to have found your blog--love your photos. You are off to a great start!