Pages

Tuesday, September 14

Composting



I'm a newbie in the world of gardening.  Sure, I'm an old pro when it comes to pulling weeds--that's easy.  However, when it comes to understanding how to grow healthy plants (organically) I'm really out of my league.  


Our vegetable garden was originally my husband's baby.  He is a "Master Gardener" and I was only the hired help (a.k.a. weed picker).  Yet, this last year, I took a more active role in the garden.  Actually, I just started calling it my garden, which he may or may not of liked.  I planted seeds, watered, fed AND pulled weeds.  



"My" garden just didn't seem like it was excelling.  The tomatoes were anything but spectacular and I had a case of powdery mildew that wiped on my entire zucchini bed. A couple of things dawned on me - one of which was compost.  I needed good compost to put in my beds.  I told my husband - who gave me the "of course you do" look.  


Well, of course, I did.  He knew it, I kind of knew it (not really).  Now, I'll be honest, we'd planned on building bins for a while, but the realization of how important compost could be to "my" garden made this project a priority. 


So, one incredibly hot weekend this July, my husband bought all the materials to build a three bin compost center.  



Today, I we are well on our way to rich compost to enhance my our garden.  It's such a satisfying feeling turned the compost pile and feeling the heat of the pile working.  I am just continually amazed at how nature works.  

No comments: